Aurora, ON - Students, teachers and parents can all be pleased with the outcome of the contract agreement between the York Region District School Board and the Ontario Secondary Teachers' Federation, District 16. That was the message when the Board of Trustees unanimously ratified the four-year collective agreement for the public secondary school teachers in York Region at the January 29, 2009 Board meeting.
"The ratification of this agreement means that secondary teachers in York Region can continue to provide excellent learning opportunities for students to succeed," said Colleen Ireland, President of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation, District 16. The Ontario Secondary Teachers' Federation, District 16 voted overwhelmingly in favour of the four-year contract on January 21, 2009.
"We are pleased to reach a four-year agreement with our secondary teachers," said Board Chair Diane Giangrande. "We applaud those who worked hard to ensure that this agreement benefits the students in the classroom."
Highlights of the agreement include:
- A four-year collective agreement: September 1, 2008 to August 31, 2012
- Salary Increases of 3% per year over the four-year agreement
- Shorter qualifying period for long-term assignments for occasional teachers
- Enhanced benefits
- Additional Staffing: Provincial funds will provide for an additional 53 teachers by the end of the contract
- Reductions in class size maxima
- Increase in staff for Student Success