District 16 OSSTF is accepting applications for the position of Health and Safety Officer. This is a full-time release position working out of the District Office in Newmarket.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety policies, procedures and protocols as evidenced by successful service in working with members.
- Understanding the Functions of the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Health and Safety training and/or knowledge in the following areas: inspections, certified worker, critical injuries, work refusals, safety data sheets, safety plans, and high-risk areas including but not limited to special education, science, and technology shops.
- Demonstrate competencies including leadership, integrity, mediation skills, planning & organizing, time management, and decision making.
- Possess interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to build effective relationships, resolve issues and deliver information to Committees, members, and Board management.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- At least 5 years of experience working for OSSTF.
- D16 OSSTF T/OT Member in good standing.
- Access to a vehicle.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Complete Health and Safety inspections of all sites where D16 T/OT members attend work, including secondary schools and Board buildings.
- Investigate all accidents involving D16 T/OT members.
- Attend meetings and report to the YRDSB Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee.
- Attend and create a report for all Executive and Council meetings.
- Provide member support and assist in the delivery of Health and Safety information to members.
- Chair the ad hoc Health and Safety committee and run meetings of this committee when necessary.
- Maintain and oversee the Health and Safety budget.
- Report to Ministry of Labour inspectors any Health and Safety violations and attend all site visits from the MOL.
Process to apply and important dates:
1. Anyone interested should submit a resume to D16.Office@osstfd16.on.cawith the heading “Health and Safety application” by 16:00 on Friday, December 4.
2. After the deadline date, all successful candidates will receive three questions. These three questions will be answered in writing.
3. You will present your 2-3 minute speech at the next Council Meeting on Wednesday, December 16, 2020.
4. The vote will take place at the Council Meeting on Wednesday, December 16, 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact Gerry Harrison, District Executive Officer at email@example.com 905-836-5954